Monday, April 25, 2011

Author compiles book of stories from town characters

AUTHOR Gareth Roberts has compiled a book celebrating the experiences of his town's stalwarts.

The former fireman's new release, Nantwich Life, is packed with 35 stories from various local residents who each share their experiences of living in the South Cheshire town.

Funds from the book will help the ambitious expansion plans of the Nantwich Players Theatre.

Gareth, who works as a maintenance officer for a children's home, said: "I feel there is a real sense of community spirit in Nantwich and people have been really supportive over the book.

"Everyone has been more than happy to get involved and share their stories.

"Some of the tales have been quite personal and I appreciate that.

"I started working on the book at the beginning of last year.

"It is driven by the people who have contributed. I have written the introduction and an introduction to each story."

The stories include the experiences of a dedicated bowling club member, a celebration of Nantwich Town Football Club, the ambitions of an amateur actress, and the tale of a mechanic's administrator.

Father-of-two Gareth, aged 55, is hoping the book proves a hit among the people of the town as he hopes to help the Nantwich Players realise some dramatic ambitions.

He said: "I'm a member of the players and we have recently bought the building next to the theatre, a former funeral parlour.

"We want to expand and it will probably cost more than a million pounds to do.

"Once I have covered my costs all the money raised from this book will go to the project."

John Roberts, aged 77, wrote My Second Home based on his experiences as the secretary of Nantwich Road Bowling Club.

The former British Rail worker, from Nantwich, said: "My wife Sally, who passed away last year, always used to call it my second home and asked me if I wanted to set up a bed there.

"The role is quite demanding as I do spend a lot of time there, but I really enjoy it.

"I think the book is a great idea as there are some real characters in Nantwich who all have a story to tell."

John Brough, aged 68, also from Nantwich, wrote Learn To Say No based on his experiences of setting up community-based websites.

The former Sentinel sub-editor who runs the popular A Dabber's Nantwich website, said: "When you retire I think people presume you have lots of time on your hands and you need something to fill your time.

"I got into setting up websites and it escalated from there.

"They do take up a bit of time as I found myself doing more and more, so this is just a little story about that."

Another contributor is Jan Wilson, who is secretary of the Nantwich Angling Society.

The 52-year-old finance worker, from Nantwich, said: "In my story Hooked On Fishing I just talk about my interest in fishing and role with the society.

"I wanted to let people know about the history of the fishing club and what we are doing now.

"This book is really good as when people pass away their memories go with them but this is a way of saving them."

Other contributors include Nantwich Jazz, Blues and Music festival organiser Phillip Martin, broadcaster Paul Simpson, and museum curator Anne Wheeler.

The book, priced �9.95, is available at Nantwich Bookshop.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503368/s/1467f3ae/l/0L0Sthisisstaffordshire0O0Cnews0CLife0Estories0Erecord0Enew0Etitle0Carticle0E34840A840Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Liberal-Conservative coalition Oscars Tobin tax Lisa Allardice Social care France

No comments:

Post a Comment