Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Apprenticeship helps dream come true for 18-year-old

FROM the age of ten Mickie Hamilton has known that she wanted to work with children.

But until the Post launched its campaign to find 100 apprentices in 100 days the ambition remained unfulfilled.

Now, though, the 18-year-old is well on her way to achieving a career in childcare at a family-run nursery.

Since starting at Leo's Nursery, in St Albans Road, Arnold, Mickie has begun her level two qualification in childcare and has put that theory into practice – which she says is more challenging than people think.

"When I got told that I'd got the apprenticeship I started crying – that's how much it meant to me and that's how much it still means to me," she said.

"I'm loving it.

"I've really got a chance to get in with the children and I've really got to know them and their likes and dislikes. I've grown up around children and I love babies and toddlers and to do it as a job is something I've wanted to do since I was ten."

Mickie applied for various positions, including one at Leo's Nursery, before but hadn't been successful.

Despite the knock-backs she kept trying, feeling an apprenticeship would be more beneficial. "I think on the apprenticeship it gives you more experience, you learn more from it and it's much more challenging," she said.

"After my level two I'd like to go on to do my level three in childcare and I can see myself owning my own nursery somewhere way into the future."

Mickie has joined 30 other staff and also has the chance to get involved in after-school clubs.

Owner of Leo's Nursery, Ged Tinley, 45, from Nuthall, said that Mickie had already learnt a lot in the time she's been with the nursery.

"She's doing well and has been learning about all the aspects of working with children including stimulating them, caring for them and playing with them," he explained.

"She's very confident, and you can see that growing.

"She's lively, she's interested and she is obviously enjoying and learning from the experience so it's all been very positive.

"Mickie was someone we interviewed a year or so ago and she came back again and we decided she had matured and was ready to embark on a really challenging career, because it is difficult working with children.

"We've had apprentices before and it's always worked for us.

"It's a good method of recruitment because if they've done really well and there's a job at the end available then many of them go on to become full-time members of staff."

Local businesses have already smashed the Post's and Notts and Derbyshire Chamber of Commerce's target of recruiting 100 apprentices in 100 days. We are now attempting to find 150 before the campaign ends.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503354/s/138853e8/l/0L0Sthisisnottingham0O0Cnews0CApprenticeship0Ehelps0Edream0Ecome0Etrue0E180Eyear0Eold0Carticle0E33543840Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Horse racing England cricket team Household bills Social networking Frank Lampard Arsenal

No comments:

Post a Comment