Sunday, January 30, 2011

Apprentice plumber scoops double award

FOR Ketan Chauhan, leaving his job as an office manager was one of the best things he has ever done.

He took up a role as an apprentice plumber with Nottingham City Homes (NCH), and has not looked back since.

He is now in the third year of a four-year course and on Thursday evening was named overall winner of Nottinghamshire Training Network's Work-Based Learning Awards.

"I was absolutely thrilled to win the award," said Ketan, 33, of Carlton. "I thought I may have a chance of winning in my category, but I didn't imagine I'd come out on top overall."

Ketan was the winner of the Personal Achiever of the Year accolade, one of nine categories in the awards on Thursday.

He then beat the other category winners to become overall champion.

Ketan said although he had a promising career lined up in office management, he jumped at the chance to take on a plumbing role after seeing an ad in the Nottingham Post.

The course is supported by Stephenson College in Lenton, where Ketan spends one day a week.

"I wanted to do something which would make me healthier, especially after my cousin had died," he said.

"I contacted them and I began working on the apprenticeship. It has gone really well."

During his apprenticeship, Ketan has worked for the repairs team at NCH but is now involved in renovating homes ready for new tenants.

"I often go around with another member of staff, though sometimes I am on my own," he said.

Ketan is urging others looking for a new career to consider doing an apprenticeship, and is backing the Post's 100 in 100 campaign.

With the Notts and Derbyshire Chamber of Commerce and the National Apprentice Service, we are looking to identify 100 apprentice places in 100 days.

"It is a great way into a new job as you can get trained up fully while you are actually doing the work," he said. "I'd encourage anyone to have a go."

Learning development officer Ian Richardson said: "Ketan is a real credit to himself and NCH. We are delighted with his success, and it really goes to show that apprenticeships are worthwhile."

Stephenson College principal Nigel Leigh said: "The professional approach he adopts to his apprenticeship is an example to all of our students."



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503354/s/123678ee/l/0L0Sthisisnottingham0O0Cnews0CApprentice0Eplumber0Escoops0Edouble0Eaward0Carticle0E31592950Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Transfer window Celestine Babayaro St Petersburg Adventure travel Ukraine Retail industry

No comments:

Post a Comment